Re: Patch for sound CS4232 on 2.1.87

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 05:03:46 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > There must be something wrong with this. Essentially, the sound
> > configuration or the makefile appear broken: with certain configurations
> > the "ad1848" files would show up multiple times, which cannot be what this
> > should be all about.
>
> The makefile is still fairly broken. I need to start throwing some def_*
> stuff into the config and taking things out of the makefile

Hmm.. not much has changed in terms of dependencies, as far as I can tell.
dev_table.h will make sound.o depend on the chipset-specific drivers which
in turn depend on sound.o. Cyclic dependencies means the modules will
never load.

I'm thinking of a slighly different approach, something similar to the
scsi subsystem. More precisely, a sound.o which does not depend on
anything and provides high-level functions only, so it can be loaded
separately without causing any low-level driver to be loaded. It would
also provide some sort of registration functions, so low-level drivers can
register themselves for the specific devices they provide - dsp, midi,
mixer. sound.o will also call request_module with a generic name (aliased
to a specific driver in modules.conf) whenever a device is opened and a
driver is not attached to it.

As far as I can tell, the infrastructure for this is already in place -
nice work Hannu et al - all it needs is the glue functions to keep it in
place. Does it sound reasonable?

[FWIW, I'm running a minimally modified 2.0.33 here with a SB16, a
SB-AWE32 and a CS4232, all of which are recognized and usable - at the
same time :-)]

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.