Re: ncr53c8xx + tulip IRQ sharing

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 01:56:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> No. Linux guarantees that YOUR interrupt will not occur. This means
> that you have free reign about your own device (the ncr8xx). However
> if you cannot tolerate being interrupted for a few microseconds, (e.g.
> if the device has a microsecond timeout after writing a "low word")
> you can opt for running the whole interrupt routine with interrupts
> off to keep things "consistent".

I didn't realize my question and lame BIOS would spark such a lively
debate. Anyone care to guess which is the best way to procede? Make the
NCR driver use slow interrupts? Make the Tulip driver use fast ones? Try
to somehow force them onto different IRQ's without the BIOS's help?

Note...I'm looking for a solution usable with 2.0.x. A possible solution
requiring 2.1.x has already been suggested, but I'd rather not go there
yet.