Re: Using >1GB RAM

Racer X (shagboy@mindstorm.com)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:22:32 -0500 (EST)

On 14 Jan 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Actually, Micro$oft late last year made a big fanfare announcement
> that they are switching to a 3-1 split, touting it (of course) as the
> best thing since sliced bread. I believe my reaction was trying to
> remember if Linux had had it for a full five years yet...

I believe MS originally chose the 2-2 split because certain architectures
required it (MIPS, IIRC). Rather than use different splits on the
different architectures, they just kept the same one to maintain
portability.

I'm not aware of what the actual porting issues were, but perhaps someone
else is?

shag

Judd Bourgeois PGP key ID 0xEDC21CA1
shagboy@mindstorm.com 25DDE4AF C5AFEF51 6905DC77 360F0387
Freedom is essentially a condition of inequality, not equality. It
recognizes as a fact of nature the structural differences inherent
in man - in temperament, character and capacity - and it respects
those differences. We are not alike and no law can make us so.
-- Frank Chodorov