Re: Are IP addresses where the last byte is 255 invalid?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:05:37 +0100 (MET)

Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> I better write a general message instead of answering each message
> seperatly. First a lot people have stated that I should get answers when I
> ping the broadcast address, but this the whole point. I am not pinging the
> broadcast address. This subnet is 1024 ip addresses large, and therefore it
> contains 3 addresses that ends in .255 that is not a broadcast address in
> any way (192.38.212.255, 192.38.213.255 and 192.38.214.255). The real
> broadcast address is 192.38.215.255 which everyone answers.

Traditionally 192.*.*.* are "Class C" networks: ones that have a
netmask of 255.255.255.0 . So everybody will use THAT netmask and
corresponding broadcast address when none is given. Newer kernels
are reportedly adding routes by itself, for which I don't understand
the reason, and got bitten by yesterday.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a