Re: SCSI naming scheme: I've almost decided

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:33:31 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Yep, I'm inclined to agree. I think I've decided on the SCSI disc
> naming scheme:
> /dev/dsk/sd_h0c0t0u0p2
>
> The "dsk" is compatible with Solaris, IRIX and HP-UX. The "sd" is
> needed because /dev/dsk is going to have non-SCSI discs (IDE, floppy,
> MD and so on).

hm, whats the point in half-compatibility? The sd_ stuff (and the rest)
will break Solaris scripts anyway i guess. Compatibility with _broken_
naming schemes makes only sense if it's 100%, otherwise it's not too
useful i guess. So why use 3-letter cryptic abbreviations, why not 'disk'
simply ... or do you want cdrm and flpy and tp and mgntcdsk too? ;)

-- mingo