Re: SCSI naming scheme: I've almost decided

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:04:58 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Also, I'm inclined to put CD-ROM in /dev/dsk too. After all, it's a
> compact *disc*, and is a FS-mountable device like all the others.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....

I would prefer keeping cdrom devices seperate, personally. Shall we put
all floppy disks in /dev/disk too? I really think that having a shallow
directory tree in /dev that groups devices by _type and function_ would be
most useful, i.e:

/dev/disk
/dev/cdrom
/dev/floppy
/dev/scanner
/dev/input/keyboard
/dev/input/mouse
/dev/input/joystick
/dev/camera
/dev/video
/dev/sound
/dev/sound/midi
/dev/sound/sequencer
/dev/sound/dsp
etc...

In each category would go devices of that type regardless of whether the
underlying interface was via scsi, ide, parport, pci card, or whatever.
Combining this with the devfs would allow a user to easily check all
installed equipment by simply doing a 'ls -R /dev', without needing to
know that a /dev/[insert random looking alpha-numerics] is a [some device
type]. What do you think?

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/