Re: devfs

Jauder Ho (jauderho@transmeta.com)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 00:07:29 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> h0c0t0u0p2 new scheme: requires people to change compatibility
> symlinks and /etc/fstab (if you've gone that far)

use this one.

> Leonard: what's your view on the placement of these devices:
>
> /dev/sd_h0c0t0u0p2 OR:
> /dev/disc/sd_h0c0t0u0p2

how about /dev/dsk/h0c0t0u0p2? lose the sd_. it doesn't buy you anything.
ide drives are done differently anyways.

as far as the id changing. I think leonard was refering to the case where you
have a standard IDE disk and scsi based say jaz drive... if scsi is compiled as
a module and the jaz is mounted, unmounted and remounted, problems appear.

--Jauder

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: The Entire Physical Universe, Including
This Product, May One Day Collapse Back Into an Infinitesimally Small
Space. Should Another Universe Subsequently and Spontaneously Re-Emerge,
the Existence of This Message in That Universe Cannot be Guaranteed.