Re: disk naming proposal & devfs (fwd)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:15:40 +1100

Jauder Ho writes:

> okay... no dropping of things just because they don't support it. if it
> is not supported, just set it to 0. there are enough complexity with the naming
> scheme that we do not need parts of the device name dropped "because the device
> does not support it"
>

> --Jauder
>
> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Kevin Lentin wrote:
>
> > Also, what did you think of my suggestion of ignoring the LUN part when it
> > is compiled out of the kernel or on devices that don't support it.

I agree with Jauder. There's no way I'd drop the LUN if a device
only has one. You could extend the argument to drop the host and
channel number too. Hey! You could even drop the id for a single disc
system:
/dev/sd_p2 was /dev/sd_h0c0i0l0p2

Bullshit!

Personally, I'd be more inclined to drop the channel part, since I
expect there is more chance that I'll have multi-LUN devices than
multi-channel hosts adaptors.
You can see where this argument leads. Forget it. Set up symlinks
instead if you really care.

Regards,

Richard....