Re: devfs

Mitch Adair (mitch@acan.net)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:33:34 -0600 (CST)

> I find this ugly and counter intuitive... IMHO...

Exactly. I keep wondering how I would parse 1-1-1-1-1 bleary-eyed,
3AM after about a dozen pots of coffee - that's when those little
letter "hints" about what it all means would come in *REAL* handy IMHO. :)

> I think most people would be happy with h0c0d0l0p0.. :)
>
> Since it's simmlar to Solaris's scheme it would also be most easily
> accepted..

Yes, the only reason I prefer c0b0t0d0s0 over the h0... is because
it is like Solaris's. My logic is: you have a group of people who
are familiar with the naming scheme c0... and a group who are familiar
with sdx only. So if we're going with a Solaris-like scheme let's
just DO the Solaris-like scheme. The sdx people are gonna have to
learn a new thing anyway, and Solaris users won't bust something in
their heads trying to swap the meaning of c0 and d0 around ;))

Mitch