Re: devfs: default permissions - SOLUTION

Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:38:50 +1100

On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 12:28:29PM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> You're assuming end-users compile their own kernels. That's true for
> developers, but for people who simply use a turn-key distribution such
> as RedHat, we can't assume that they will be building their own custom
> kernel. The whole point of modules and initrd is to allow distributions
> to install a generic set of kernel and modules which don't require a
> kernel recompile as part of the installation process....

And how many of those people actually make any major changes to /dev? That
was my point. People who install RedHat would probably be quite happy with
the devparm setup that RedHat chose to put in their kernels. Almost all the
time. And it's a lot better than having to completely rebuild you /dev
everytime you boot, effectively creating all the devices that the devfs is
supposed to be creating for you.

--
[     Kevin Lentin               Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au      ]