Re: devfs

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:30:37 +1100

Michael Neuffer writes:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de) wrote:
> >=20
> > : On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > : > Sanity check time! Let's see if your "fix" would work.
> >=20
> > Yes, let's have one..
> >=20
> > : > bus 4 bits
> >=20
> > 16 controllers. OK...
>
> No not controllers. This is buses on the controller. 4 bits for this
> should be the lower limit. The smallest SSA that you can buy from
> SUN for example has already 6 buses.

That's interesting. Since you seem to know something about SCSI host
adapters with multiple SCSI buses, can you please tell us how they
show that in /dev? I'm aware of the following format:

cCtTdDsS

where <C> is the controller number (host adaptor), <T> is the SCSI
target (SCSI ID), <D> is the device number (LUN) and <S> is the stripe
(partition).

Where do they put the per-host/controller SCSI bus ID?

Regards,

Richard....