Re: no need for a devfs

Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au)
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:32:33 +1100

On Thu, Jan 08, 1998 at 05:26:56PM -0500, James Mastros wrote:

> Huha? In what way?

When you unplug hdb, hdc remains hdc
When you unplug sdb, sdc becomes sdb

That's the pain. The two are different. And having you disk change device
name because you disconnected another, mostly unrelated, piece of hardware
is a pain.

> I like being able to disconnect my cdrom (which was hdb,
> due to cable length), which was causing inablity to boot (its ICs appear to
> be fried) withought moving my /usr partition (hdc2).

Exactly. But if you removed a scsi disk then you would have to fiddle to get
your /usr partition (also on another scsi disc) back to where it belongs.

What could be done _now_ is to extend /proc/scsi a bit so that
/proc/scsi/ncr53c7xx/0/id4lun0part1 -> /dev/sda1
And if a disk id3 gets added then the above symlink will point to sdb1
instead. Either way that link always points at the actual physical disk
concerned.
Of course, I chose a horrible naming scheme, and you might want to use a
more common one, or make them all subdirectories. It really doesn't make
much difference. And we're not make changes to the /dev naming scheme
(which involves so much argument). We're _adding_ to the functionality of
the kernel.

--
[     Kevin Lentin               Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au      ]