Re: Overlay writable filesystem over r/o partition [long]

Richard Jones (rjones@orchestream.com)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 12:35:16 +0000

Trevor Johnson wrote:

> > I've been thinking about a number of ways to implement
> > an ``overlay'' filesystem for Linux -- a filesystem
> > that you could mount over ordinary r/o media like CD-ROMs
> > and NFS r/o partitions, which would allow you to write
> > and just store the diffs to the original data.
>
> Someone did something like this awhile back:
>
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/ifs-5.1a-module-for-1.1.88.gz
> ___
> Trevor Johnson

I started adding code for ``copylinks'' to 2.1.77 last
night. I don't know yet whether these are a good idea :-)
but I'll probably implement them, play with them to
see if they do what I want, and then if they work out
distribute the patches. Copylinks may be much more general
purpose than IFS (and IFS needs a lot of work to integrate
it into 2.1 - eg. dcache changes).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones  rjones@imcl.com  Tel: +44 171 460 6141  Fax: .. 4461
ABLE INmEDIA Ltd.  262a Fulham Rd.  London  SW10 9EL.  "you'll write in