Re: fork: out of memory

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:39:24 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > 8 contiguous pages, pick the first free page and swap
> > the data in the next 7 adjacent pages with other free
>
> b) is impossible: You would have to modify all pointers pointing to
> that memory. Or you would have to use MM tricks which are slow - see
> a).

No, I just took a look at Ben's pte->links patch, and it should
be possible to do it.
In fact, Ben's patch almost makes my patch (vhand-2.1.66) obsolete,
so I think I'm going to merge the patches and see what it does to
performance...

Rik.

ps. vhand-2.1.66 is out...
Send Linux memory-management wishes to me: I'm currently looking
for something to hack...