Re: Low Memory Systems...

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 22:01:07 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> A prefer a distribution if possible, that way if something goes wrong
> someone can fix it rather than having to bother me about it every time.
> Also, its got 4MB of ram so my usually single boot disk just isn't going to
> work.

1. boot from boot-floppy
2. fdisk, make /, swap (and /var)
3. mkswap /dev/hda[x]
4. sync
5. swapon /dev/hda[x]
6. start installation program, possibly install via NFS or
something else that doesn't require you to load a ramdisk

> stripped right down. Alternatively - anyone know a good place to start
> ripping stuff out of 2.0.32? (I _need_ to keep proc though...)

You'll need:
- ide-disk
- ext2 (just 35k, fast)
- network driver _module_
- ipv4 basics + routing/firewalling code
- procfs
- possibly ipx/ipv6/bootp _modules_

The reason for modules is simple, faster startup and
e2fsck :)

Rik.

Send Linux memory-management wishes to me: I'm currently looking
for something to hack...