Re: Hard disk errors?

Brian Beaudoin (baddog@darkknight.net)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:59:23 -0500

Pablo,

Saw a reply to your original question, and I wanted to send in my $.02
worth. Those log entries basically mean:

"You have an IDE drive with no DMA support,
reset function works properly, and the drive
is capable of giving the messages 'DriveReady',
'DeviceFault', and 'SeekComplete' to report
the active status of the drive."

I missed your original posting, so I don't have your e-mail address to
inquire directly. I am assuming that those messages were generated at
boot-time in reference to an ATAPI CD-ROM drive. If that is the case,
those messages are normal.

In Samuli's case, similar messages meant a problem with a Western
Digital hard drive which could mean something is seriously wrong. If
the first drive on your second controller is a hard drive (NOT a CD-ROM
or floppy/removable ATAPI) then you may have a problem.

If the messages are boot-time only and don't affect normal operation,
they're generally nothing to worry about, probably even expected for
ATAPI removable type media.

Brian