Re: 2.1.63: ATAPI CDROM troubles

Erik Andersen (andersee@debian.org)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:41:41 -0700

On Sat, Nov 15, 1997 at 08:28:25AM -0500, Martin Imrisek wrote:

> HI Everyone:
>
> I've noticed that periodically I get the following when trying to play
> music CD's on my CDROM (ATAPI).
> This has happened occasionally with 2.1.62, but it seems to occur more
> often than not in 2.1.63. The only way to get it working is to reboot.
>

> Nov 15 08:23:36 orpheus kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x30
> Nov 15 08:23:36 orpheus kernel: hdc: code: 0x70 key: 0x03 asc: 0x09
> ascq: 0x02
> Nov 15 08:23:36 orpheus kernel: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
[--------------snip---------------------]

Since you did not have
#define VERBOSE_IDE_CD_ERRORS 1
in /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/ide-cd.c, (which gives us human
readable errors) I had to look this one up. Anyway, translating this
error the Hard Way (by hand) tells me your drive is reporting a
"MEDIUM ERROR -- Focus Servo Failure". MEDIUM ERROR can be returned
when there is a flaw in the disc you are trying to read, an error in
the recorded data, or when the ATAPI drive cannot distinguish between
a flaw in the medium and a specific hardware failure (which would have
returned sense key 0x04). The part about the "DriveReady SeekComplete
Error" is coming direct from the ide driver (not the ide-cd driver).

A rough interpretation of this data is that it looks as if you tried
to read a disc that is broken, or your CD-ROM drive is broken. If you
have an alternative explanation, I am willing to be convinced...

-Erik

The Linux ide-cd guy.

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/