Re: Report on 2.1.63 - Pentium bug workaround..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 06:34:50 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, David Woodhouse wrote:

> torvalds@transmeta.com said:
> > I'm re-posting the patches to v2.1.63 that should get it working with
> > SMP too, as too many people seem to have missed them.
>
> Don't we have to load the new idt on the other processors, too? AFAICT, we
> only modify the idt on the boot CPU this way.

Indeed, major thinko. Mingo already forwarded me a trivial patch for this,
and I guess I'll just better make a real 2.1.64 soon that has all the
fixes instead of having these patches floating around and confusing
people.

Anyway, the good news seems to be that the only failure pattern so far is
the SMP one (initially even on UP if the kernel was compiled for SMP, now
on "true" SMP systems). So I'm fairly confident that the fix is stable and
correct, and now we only have a few minor issues to iron out (mainly
getting it back-ported correctly into 2.0.x, I'll get that done over the
weekend at the very latest).

Linus