Re: 2.1.63 - testing Pentium bug workaround..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 21:13:04 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Roel Lascano wrote:

> Was the patch supposed to also fix the lockup bug in SMP? I just tried 2.1.63
> on my Tyan TomcatIII w/ 2 p133's and it died when I threw the code at it. I
> do get the message stating that the Pentium lockup bug was detected. I
> vaguely remember someone posting something about SMP and the Pentium lock-up
> bug... but I don't remember much more than that.

Yes. Plain 2.1.63 does _not_ fix the bug on SMP. If you have SMP, you need
to apply the patch I posted in my previous email to the kernel list. If it
_still_ locks up, I need to know.

Talking about needing to know - if anybody is interested in a pre-2.0.32
that has the Pentium lockup fix, I just made pre-patch-2.0.32-3 available
on ftp.kernel.org. NOTE NOTE NOTE!!!! This is just a back-port of the
2.1.x version, and I have not tested it myself due to my lack of Pentiums
to test with. It does compile, but that's all I can say..

Linus