Re: Filesize limitation

teunis (teunis@mauve.computersupportcentre.com)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:46:10 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Chel van Gennip wrote:

> "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
> >Chel van Gennip writes:
> >
> >> I think there is a real need for files > 2GB.
> >
> >Linux will support such files when the _is_ a real need.
> >Over the years, I've seen less than a dozen people complain.
> >As for myself, 2 GB would be an acceptable hard disk limit.
> >

> I think the time is about now. Unit capacity doubles every 2 years,
> the size for a 3.5" disk is now 20GB.

Just to comment:
According to the newsheets, earlier this year a number of
harddrive manufacturers made a breakthrough in drive technology. The
result of this breakthrough was to increase potential space on a hard
drive tenfold : ie 20-100 gigs.... The additional detail was : with no
additional cost on construction....

I have a feeling that the only thing keeping 20-50Gig drives from being
common is the ~8gig limit on EIDE drives....

G'day, eh? :)
- Teunis

[this implies it's already too late - we should have had a 64-bit
filesystem this summer.... :]

(oh - and we'd make some of the database people very happy... :)