Re: Style question: comparison between signed and unsigned?

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 17:28:52 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 brianh@risky.bit3.com wrote:

> Um, how is this worse then having tons of implicit and undocumented
> typecasts hidden throughout the code?

Implicit type casts follow strict rules. Once people start explicitly
type casting *everything* you have to assume they knew what they
were doing - and got it right.

> Dumb programmers write dumb programs. Granted. Smart programmers take
> advantage of this behavior, and only typecast when this warning comes up
> and they have looked at the situation and decided yes, the conversion is
> what they mean (or changed the types of other variables to the correct
> type).

We all know that there are those of us (you?) who can get it right
and that the majority can't be trusted. I want to stand a chance
of QA'ing that code...

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |