Re: zImages and such

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:28:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:

> Hi all. I had a few questions about kernel images I hoped someone could
> help me with..
>
> If zImage represents a compressed kernel image, what is bzImage? Why
> not just always use bzImage?
A bzImage is simply a version of zImage that can handle larger kernels.
However, it is quite a bit more complicated, dosn't work well for machines
with very limited (e.g. 4M) memory, and slower. BTW - It is a common
misconception that older lilos (pre .16?) can't handle bzImages. Actually,
they can handle any image up to a certian size. But in that range, you
don't need a bzImage.

> When would a vmlinux file be used for something?
The vmlinux is the uncompressed kernel. It is mainly a tempoary file, used
for makeing the zImage, bzImage, etc. Also, you could boot it if you should
happen to want to.

> Thanks,
> Dave

-=- James Mastros

---
  "Shooting as [a] communications method is obsolete even here in Bosnia, so
I'll skip over it."
	-=- Dragisha Durich