Re: 2.0.31pre9 and aic7xxx

Chel van Gennip (linux@vangennip.nl)
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:05:58 +0100 (WETDST)

Discussion in short:
In 2.0.31-9 the default for the aic7xxx is not to use the
SA_INTERRUPT flag. The old behaviour can be restored
by uncommenting roughly line 357, the #define AIC7XXX_OLD_ISR_TYPE
Result: aic7xxx now can share interrups with eg. network devices
but not share interrupts with eg. other scsi devices.
A patch is available to share the two types of interrups
on http://www.vangennip.nl/linux.
I advised not to make these kind of changes between
2.0.30 and 2.0.31.

Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@bitwizard.nl> wrote:

>If it is on a board with more controllers they will all use the
>different interrupt type. So they can share it again. Only sharing
>between different interrupt types was impossible, until your patch
>came along, it seems.

The boards like the AHA3940 uses two interrups, depending on the
motherboard, one of these interrups is shared with the PCI slot
left or right from the AHA3940. Normally this problem is solved
by rearanging the boards until no conflicts are present. My patch
can help but is not a general solution yet. (Only Intel, not tested
on SMP etc.) If the default behaviour of the aic7xxx is changed
this way, one maybe has to rearange hardware when moving from
2.0.30 to 2.0.31. I think 2.0.30 and 2.0.31 default should run
on the same hardware.

I think the change is good, but the default choice is wrong.

Chel