Re: 2.0.31pre9 and aic7xxx

Chel van Gennip (linux@vangennip.nl)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:38:27 +0100 (WETDST)

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> wrote:
>--------
>> I write:
>> >I applied pre-patch-2.0.31-9. My (PCI)
>> >aic7xxx controller no longer seems to allow IRQ sharing; this worked with
>> >kernel 2.0.29. The other device using the IRQ line is an ncr8xx.
>>
>> Ah, I see. I guess this is a feature, rather than a bug - the driver doesn't
>> use the SA_INTERRUPT flag any more. Tch.
>>
>> p.
>
>On roughly line 357, the #define AIC7XXX_OLD_ISR_TYPE is commented out.
>Uncomment this, and it will share interrupts with your ncr scsi controller.
>The reason for the change is that the ISR can take a significant amount of
>time during an interrupt as it does its completion processing, so this flag
>really shouldn't be used, plus it was conflicting with a lot of ethernet
>card drivers that wanted to share the interrupt (tulip most notably).

There is a patch available to share the two kinds of interrupts, see
http://www.vangennip.nl/linux
This patch has been on the tulip/vortex list for some time. Until now
I only have positive reports.

Please do not make these kind of changes in a 2.0.30 => 2.0.31 update,
this makes some systems incompattible between 2.0.30 and 2.0.31.
The aic7xxx is used on boards with 2 and 3 controlers, and _HAS_ to share
interrupts!

Chel