Re: 2.0 SMP Patch

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 22:23:47 -0700

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 00:25:19 +0100 (BST)

> All SMP _bugfixes_ should go into 2.0. 2.2 improves SMP performance,
> not reliability.

There is really only one SMP bugfix - the one for handling the deadlock
case. That currently corrupts IDE disk very occasionally for a few unlucky
folks. So that won't go in until resolved.

The other possible one is the capslock patch. Ingo ?

In case you haven't heard, I now have a new version of my deadlock patch that
should be safe for IDE systems too. I now have reports from a few people of
operation under heavy load with no IDE problems nor SMP lockups. I think the
capslock patch is also included, but it wouldn't hurt for someone to check in
case there's a different patch than the allow_interrupts one I have.

Leonard