Re: buffer cache patches - anybody willing to summarize?

Peter Svensson (petersv@df.lth.se)
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 21:03:13 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Jeff Wiegley wrote:

> I almost don't think driver updates are even appropriate at all for the
> 2.0 tree. Security and fatal bug fixes *only*. other than that 2.0
> supports what it supports and you should wait for 2.2/3.0 to include new
> hardware support.

Most problems with the 2.0-series of kernels are not from new drivers, but
rather from other, deeper fixes. They were unfortunate, but I assume they
were necessary to change. Most driver changes were actually just updates
to make them work better.

If the even-numbered kernels are not to be updated with new drivers I
think they would have to be more frequent.

Peter