Re: [off-topic] update hogging CPU again in 2.0.2x

Jeremy A. Gilbert (grath@gryphon.ccs.brandeis.edu)
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 14:24:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On 31 Jul 1997, Nick Holloway wrote:
> > jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net (Jon Lewis) writes:
> > > crash:~$ uptime ; uname -a
> > > 12:11am up 259 days, 9:35, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.17, 0.14
> > > Linux crash 2.0.25 #6 Wed Nov 13 17:11:18 EST 1996 i486
> >
> > I have a 2.0.27 (I think) machine (coincidentally also known as crash)
> > coming up to ~230 days. Is there anything I can do to help track
> > this down?
> I was able to kill and restart updated without rebooting...so its up to
> 261 days now. If you have the disk space, it might be interesting to
> start strace on update around 250 days, and see if anything odd pops up in
> that.

I have a 2.0.10 kernel up around 290 days, and ever since i passed
the ~230-40 mark, I've gotten very strange behavior with ZSH I can't
figure out. Basically, the keyboard input seems feels very sticky and
characters are not echoed until I hit return serveral times. I have
recompiled zsh on other machines and even fresh binaries don't seem to fix
it. Could this have something to do with various 31-bit counter overruns?

Can anyone else who runs zsh and linux > ~240 days let me know
what their experiences are? It definatly something to do with the uptime
and I don't think it has anything to do with bit rot...

Jeremy