Re: buffer cache patches - anybody willing to summarize?

Joe Pranevich (joepran@telerama.lm.com)
Sun, 03 Aug 1997 18:35:00 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> NOTE NOTE NOTE! The above sounds like I want others to do as much work for
> 2.0.31 as possible, and that's exactly correct. I hope that nobody is
> offended by having to re-do work they already did, but think of what I
> have to go through.. Most of the patch-creators at least have to re-do
> only one patch (their own), while I will have to go through a lot of
> patches from many sources. That is why I want to try to get others to do
> as much as possible before I then distill the final 2.0.31.

As much as it is fruitless now, I would also like to reaffirm how much I
feel the "vocal minority" upset the Linux balance of nature. But it's a
bit late for that, now.

Although it is definitely not my place (you could count the number of
kernel patches that I distributed on one hand), I'd just like to suggest
that, once 2.0.31 is completed, that we let Linus go back on to better
things. 2.0.x is perhaps the most stable Linux kernel to date (I hope
I'm not exaggerating *too* much, I have months of uptime on it without
hitch). Maybe, just maybe, we should consider a final bug fix release
(2.0.32) to fix some of the more minor/nagging problems and then call it
a day. Maybe I'm not a good judge of this and maybe there are
outstanding problems that I'm blissfully unaware of, but I think that we
have reached a stability milestone that
won't be surpassed soon.

Until then, after 2.0.31, would anyone be willing to volunteer their
time to "replace" David and Linus in that role? I would volunteer to do
it myself, but really lack the hardcore kernel experience and (maybe)
the time. It's not that I don't think Linus wouldn't do a good job, of
course. :)

Ciao, all.

Joe Pranevich