Re: PentiumII's.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
30 Jul 1997 04:42:39 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.970730105941.599T-100000@fire.irdu.nus.sg>,
Lai Zit Seng <lzs@pobox.com> wrote:

>> > A friend of mine bought a single processor 266MHz P2 to use as a
>> > web cache server. He has had no problems with it, running 2.0.28.
>> > The cache server gets 1 Megahits per day.
>
>> How does it comapre to a PPRO 200? :)
>
>Yes, I'm interested too. I'm looking for all-round performance. That would
>mean the Pentium-II if necessary. But if Linux doesn't make much use of
>MMX, and given the Pentium Pro's integrated L2 cache, perhaps the Pentium
>Pro might prove to be a better choice. Most of the benchmarks I've seen
>are Windows based, so they're probably not very useful to guage
>performance under Linux.

Well, I went from a dual PPro-200 to a dual PII-266, and I can honestly
say that the PII-266 is performing a lot better.

The PII has a larger L1 cache, which more than makes up for the slightly
slower (but generally larger) L2 cache as compared to the PPro. And
obviously the PII runs at higher clockspeeds.

Linus