Re: Kernel cpu selection + other platforms?

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:18:45 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Teunis Peters wrote:

> That's EXACTLY what I had in mind!
> [I don't know much about non-intel processors either but browsing the
> kernel source hasn't helped me figure out how to compile or run one of
> them]

It wouldn't. They're clones. You treat them like the equivalent
Intel part they are compatible with unless you know better. That's
the whole point of them! :-)

> .. I also thought CPU-specific optimizations[/dangerous bugfixes] should
> be present too.... when needed. Obviously things like 'detect/correct
> Pentium [pick your CPU] math bug' could always be present for x86....

Been there. Done it. At run time rather than compile time though.
No, it isn't in the kernel yet - but the patch is out there.

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |