Re: Memory being incorrected sized at boot-up

Kim Enkovaara (kenkovaa@cc.hut.fi)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:46:21 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> I recently popped a copy of Linux (2.0.30) on my Compaq Deskpro 2000 at
> work and was amazed to see that it incorrectly reported the amount of RAM.
> The box contains 32MB, but the kernel only sees 16MB.
>
> Yes, I know, lilo append="mem=32M".

I noticed this also with Deskpro 2000 and mailed to Compaq Support. I told
them that I run Unix system with the computer and they answered to load
dos program do correct the reporting in dos :) It's a bug in their bios I
guess, because that dos program fills some values to system memory table.

SP1835.EXE -- 38 K -- (17 May 96)
SHOWEXT.COM version 1.50 enables Compaq computers to report all
extended memory up to 64 megabytes in DOS
instances of Windows 3.X & Windows 95 using the MEM.EXE DOS program.
The above is accomplished by querying
XMS and writing the value to a system memory table. SUPERSEDES:
SP1224.EXE

I sent them more mail asking what is their recomended way to query memory
and never got answer back. At least the normal function int 15h/ah=88h
doesn't work, It returns the 16M value. Maybe I should be nasty and begin
calling the customer support and wonder why the machine can't find the
memory.

Mr. Kim Enkovaara | kenkovaa@cc.hut.fi | IRC : embo
Iirislahdentie 47 E | embo@unix.mpoli.fi | BBS : telnet mpoli.fi
02230 Espoo,Finland | embo@iki.fi (preferred) |