Re: Linux on AMD K6

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
11 Jul 1997 00:01:23 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.SUN.3.96.970710124026.23935B-100000@sunrise.byu.edu>,
Karl D. Nelson <nelsonm@sunrise.byu.edu> wrote:

>- Does the AMD K6 have subtle x86 compatibility problems such as have been
>discussed on this list before with the Cyrix chips?

Not ones that I noticed running computational chemistry jobs on it under
Linux. If Intel wasn't firesaling 80521/150s (at about 55% of the
price of a K6/166 these days) I'd be stocking up on them and retiring
a lot of my K5 processors.

>- AMD compares the K6 to the PPro but the chip sits in a P5 socket. Does
>this limit its truly functioning as a PPro clone?

It's within 5% of the speed of a similarly clocked 80521 -- the only
place where it does not perform nearly as well is the floating point,
which is a place where AMD and Cyrix have (rightly) decided that it's
not worth the trouble to tune, because almost nobody uses floating
point.

____
david parsons \bi/ The K6 works fine, if you're not doing computational
\/ chemistry.