VM Tuning? [was]Re: Could not get a free page...

Richard G. Roberto (richr@Bear.COM)
Sat, 31 May 1997 10:05:21 +0900 (JST)

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> We have two almost identical 486 machines with 8 meg of memory being used
> for installation testing. Both of these machines will lock up during
> mke2fs on partitions larger than 600 meg. 800 meg partitions will lock up
> every time. In both cases the kernel has a swap partition of 80 meg
> available (no swaping to speak of). By upping the priorities for freepage
> in /proc the threshold for failure rises a bit.

In this example, swap = 10 x physmem. Under SunOS, too much swap
space had the tendency to get used in low memory situations such
that so much time was used managing virtual memory that the
machine became useless for real life work. It was fun to watch
the thing sit there and page for hours (but that was in Edison,
NJ where there may have been something in the water.)

What is the formula for VM tuning under linux? Are there docs
that describe this and other kernel tuning issues in a straight
forward manner (i.e. I'm not Linus -- I can't read the source
code ;)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.