Re: semi-offtopic - new kernel script watcher:

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Fri, 30 May 1997 18:21:36 -0700 (PDT)

> On 30 May 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> > NO, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!
> >
> > If you have to poll, use "finger"; however, Linus and I are working on
> > an automated set of mailing lists, kernel-patch and kernel-announce
> > which will transmit kernel patches and automated announcement of
> > kernel patches, respectively.
>
> Will the finger interface still be kept up to date? i parse that one
> trough a script that sends email to a mail2sms gateway at work... and it
> needs to have the phonenumer as the subject... (ie: the kernel-announce
> will be a cool thing, but i cant use it, bcause i want it as an sms :)

Set up a mail alias or procmail script that converts it to whatever
form you want. Polling in this manner is *extremely* wasteful of
server resources.

> ...it would be VERY nice if the finger interface could reflect the latest
> patch released (ie pre-patches and so on), perhaps the latest file
> uploaded. maby a finger to prepatch@ftp.kernel.org to see the file with
> the last date...? :)

This is very hard/impossible to do automatically, since Linus doesn't
really use any particular procedure for the prepatches. They are
meant to be highly informal, so that probably won't happen. The
*last* thing we want, I suspect, are people grabbing prepatches
without reading Linus' notes on linux-kernel.

-hpa