Re: Ext2fs and hashed table.

Benjamin Saller Bender (case@loki.appliedtheory.com)
Fri, 30 May 1997 16:17:02 -0400

Matthew Kirkwood <mailto:weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> writes:

>> Thats exactly what I am working on. ;> And more....
>
>Yep. The only thing consideration is that it has already been done.
>It's called Pick-OS. And (almost) no-one used/is using it.
>
>We had a longish discussion here in Oxford about creating some sort
>of fs based on a database paradigm, but came to the conclusion that
>it wasn't really worth doing, and was of little use.

Pick-OS has problems, which are summed up by the fact that the
following line is valid.

SORT CUSTOMERS WITH BALANCE-DUE > "10000" AND WITH LAST-PAYMENT BEFORE 12/31/93" BY BALANCE-DUE DISPLAY NAME ADDRESS BALANCE-DUE LAST-PAYMENT

No one wants to use that, and its not what I am talking about. Rather
than defend this here however why don't people let me know if they really want
to talk about large-scale, persistent, distributed Operating Systems let me
know through private email and we can set up a list. Basically what I am doing
is authoring the API to the entire OS and doing white paper like write ups on
the various components. When (if?) this is done I hope to make it available to the
public.

--
Benjamin Saller Bender 			<case@AppliedTheory.com>
AppliedTheory Communications		Software Engineering Group