Re: name change for cd rom devices

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Fri, 30 May 1997 09:07:12 +0200

On May 29, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Changing /dev/scd<N> (which is in far wider use) to /dev/sr<N> would
> have negative effects on users. It's probably a better name for most
> people too.
>
> I suggest that we change the message, rename the driver file and
> module, and live with the sr_ identifiers until they are changed to
> match.

IMHO "scd" ever has been broken and a bit incosistent and I never understood
why this device name came up at all (when I've started using Linux with 0.98.4
there only was /dev/sr?).

there is sd*, st*, sg*, so what is wrong with sr* or good with scd* ??

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\