Re: pre-2.0.31 swap usage screwed

Stephen R. van den Berg (srb@cuci.nl)
Thu, 29 May 1997 02:19:34 +0200

Jon Lewis <jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net> wrote:
>> > This is pre-patch 2.0.31 + Eric's TCP fixes + kmalloc fds patch in a dual
>> > P150 running a non-SMP kernel. Uptime 13d20:48.

>> > It looks like swap used has somehow gone negative by 4096 bytes, and free
>> > from proc-ps 1.01 is printf'ing the unsigned ints as signed ints.

>ok...just found part of the problem. I had one user who had somehow hung
>a dozen or more copies of cucipop v1.13
>Locking strategies: dotlocking fcntl()
>Optional commands: USER/PASS APOP TOP UIDL

>When I killed all those hung cucipop's, the swap usage report suddenly got
>back to normal...

Check in what system call these cucipops hang (strace), then SIGTERM
them.
My guess would be it's the kernel's locking implementation.
Cucipop normally doesn't use any large quantities of memory (even
on large mailboxes).

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).