Re: config procfs patch

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Mon, 26 May 1997 18:51:14 +0200 (METDST)

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Keith Owens wrote:

> Assuming you still maintain a separate System.map for each kernel, this
> one line addition to Makefile will append the current config to the
> map. No kernel changes required. Extract the config by "grep CONFIG_
> System.map". Is this method was standard, a simple change to syslogd
> could extract it automatically. If you don't have a separate
> System.map for each kernel, my commiserations.

In this case, why don't we simply include one or two additional ELF
sections in the kernel, one including the .config file and the other
System.map (or both in one section). You could recreate your System.map
with a small utility from your kernel image file (and it does not contribute
to kernel bloat since it's not loaded).

Gabriel.

BTW: the BOOT_IMAGE parameter in /proc/cmdline corresponds to the label=
line in lilo.conf, not to the name of the kernel imagee file.