Re: Kernel Debugging Hardware

Jukka Tapani Santala (e75644@UWasa.Fi)
Thu, 15 May 1997 13:57:04 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Andrew Vanderstock wrote:
>> What would be better is to make a real crashdumper for the kernel.
>> Something akin to what Sun or FreeBSD has.
> Or even better, a serial line kernel debugger, like Copland's. Single step
> through a running kernel. I'd like to see that. :-)

I hope I'm not way off base (Having only one machine...;) but I understand
ftp://ftp.gcom.com/pub/linux/src/gdbstub/gdbstub-2.0.24.tar.gz (For 2.0.24
kernels, but not difficult to adapt...) does just that. There's also
gdbstub-2.0.24-10dec96.tar.gz version, altough I'm not sure what (if any)
are the changes. Author is David Grothe, dave@gcom.com: "I have GDB
running between two Linux boxes with a serial interface cable between
them. I can set breakpoints, single step and do source level debugging in
the kernel from one machine to the other."

-Donwulff

Time to Face the World, Let Brothers Never Fight.
Forever Forge Ahead, and Keep the Dream in Sight.
For Those Who Never Try - They Are Sure to Fail.
The Heart's a Righteous Wind, That Comes to Fill the Sail.
-Manowar (King/Louder Than Hell)