Re: What do you think of STREAMS?

David S. Miller (davem@caip.rutgers.edu)
Mon, 12 May 1997 20:40:15 -0400

From: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 17:23:04 -0700

While I don't want to start another flame war, please understand
that it is the widely held opinion of people who have used STREAMS
that it is not a nice framework. It is complicated and slow and
there are no really high performance networking stacks that use
STREAMS. Sun tried and has gone back to sockets. Even Ritchie,
the streams (streams != STREAMS) inventor hates STREAMS.

Yeah, poor Mentat, now they write stacks for Macintoys and have the
motto "Making STREAMS go fast..." pretty sad.

Sockets is a fine architecture. Learn it. Use it. Live free and
prosper.

Yes, however I think the original argument was that putting it into
the main tree may increase the number of places/people that would
decide to use Linux. The STREAMS implementation that exists for Linux
is much like the IRIX one Larry, it's bolted "on top" of the fast
stuff so only the bozo's using STREAMS even go through those code
paths. And you can config the sucker completely out, which is what
most people will do anyways.

Always nice to have another "feature" feather in our caps against the
divided BSD community. 8-) (and at zero cost, other than more source
in the tree, because you can config it out)

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><