Re: Solaris source

stephen farrell (sfarrell@healthquiz.com)
30 Apr 1997 12:26:07 -0500

lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy) writes:

the thing that i don't understand about this if it is, like you say, a
competitive move against linux, is that they're effectively giving
their source code to almost any linux hacker out there. i don't see
any reference to an NDA, so what's to stop linux people from taking
what the choose out of solaris and dropping it into linux? this seems
to be a far more probable outcome then solaris competing with linux
directly...

one possibility is that sunsoft is looking to close-up shop on
solaris, move towards their java operating system, and they'll be glad
to have a free unix (linux w/solaris enhancements) available for their
sparcs for people who still want to run unix in a couple of years.

i've been thinking for a long time that linux (= free unix world) will
definitely outlast any of the commercial unices. this annoucement
seems to be a step in that direction.

otoh, what worries me about it, however, is i think this makes solaris
look like a joke to the microsoft people. NT source code is highly
protected, and it is an easy assumption that there is a direct
relationship between protection of code and value of said code (albeit
largely wrong).

--steve farrell