Re: Solaris source (fwd)

Dave Barr (barr@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:03:22 -0400

In message <199704292324.TAA13078@bingsun3.cc.binghamton.edu>, "SethMeister G."
writes:
>> No. Its because the idea of going up against the Microsoft behemoth
>> scares the piss out of them. Why attack someone stronger when you can
>
> Sorry -- I can hold my voice no longer. This is just plain bullshit.
>Sun has a commitment to be competitive with Microsoft; what the hell do
>you think Solaris/x86 is for? Crappy desktops? No. Its to compete with
>the windows NT market on mid to high-range servers.

One must also not forget the fact that for some time now NT source has
been available to universities as well. A LOT of people at Sun for a LONG
time have wanted to make source available to at least universities like this.
There was a feeling that Sun (in talking with some higher-ups) back when
Microsoft started the NT source program that they would finally start
moving on it. I think Linux also plays a part, but NT is as big of a
reason as to why Sun is doing this.

--Dave