Re: Patch for route.c

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.smurf.noris.de)
10 Apr 1997 16:42:23 +0200

"Larry J. Blunk" <ljb@merit.edu> writes:

> Consider a machine with an interface on 1.2.3.0/ffffff00. Its address
> is 1.2.3.1, and it becomes neighbors with a router at 1.2.3.2. The
> kernel routing table contains:
>
> 1.2.3.0/ffffff00 interface-name # network route through the interface
> 1.2.3.2/ffffffff router-name # host route to neighbor; GATEWAY flag
> # is set.

I don't understand this. The GATEWAY flag says that the route from A to C
goes through an intermediate B. If C is in fact on the same network, then
the route through B is in error and should be deleted.

If gated does in fact enter bogus routes like these, then I suggest to fix
gated (or, more likely, its configuration), but don't hack a workaround
into the kernel.

--
I do the work of three men - Larry, Moe, and Curly.