Re: 2.1 kernel bloat revisited

David S. Miller (davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu)
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 03:13:17 -0500

Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 21:05:02 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Mark A. Breuer" <breuer@nfinity.com>

Linux is not windows. Just cause the source code is growing, doesn't mean
that the image(s) you need to boot need to be larger!

While I like all the new things Linux is doing, and this is making it
bigger, I'd like to quote the original author because I think you
missed that he did say the kernel "image" is getting bigger but I
doubt you missed this intentionally.

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 kdp0101@hpmail.lrz-muenchen.de wrote:

> I noticed that the 2.1.29 kernel image is much bigger than the 2.0.29
> image. To check it out I wrote a small perl script to compare
> "nm --size-sort -t d" listings. It only gives a rough estimate of course
> but it is still a useful bloat-o-meter.

When it comes to the kernel, those who think big are usually very
small ;-) As Eric Schenk said we should look into where exactly the
image bloat is coming from.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><