Re: Now, why didn't we think of this before?

Andrew Vanderstock (ajv@greebo.svhm.org.au)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:59:37 +1000

I'm not talking about driver dependant graphics, and many people missed the
woods for the trees. I would like:

* a graphical (EGA or VGA) boot that does very simple stuff. I've started
work on it and hope to have something that is less than 40-50 KB in size,
and starts as the first rc.0 stuff. With a hack in the bootsect.s stuff to
save state and set VGA mode and set a hatch pattern (about 50-100 bytes in
code size), this is all possible. It doesn't have to display a picture (if
it does, I'd expect it to be after the file system is mounted, maybe use
png as the delivery mechanism). I want no text unless Something Very Bad
(tm) happens. Saving the VGA state is a well known procedure. Setting up
640x480x16 colours is easy, and works even on 256 kb VGA cards. There was
one person who said that you couldn't see what went wrong. Well this
problem has been solved on the Mac for more than 12 years (a red cross is
placed through the icon of the extension or control panel that failed).
Simple expect script could leverage this under free unixes. Even OS/2 boots
graphically.

* when Something Very Bad happens, I want something that is better than
now. Say fsck fails. You're screwed now. There is no easy to enter single
user mode from this angle. Say a driver module you've installed stalls the
boot process. Where's the single user mode? Many people who don't do kernel
hacking or driver development don't have boot disks around to do repairs.
We need something that will help get the system stable at boot time without
resorting to floppies.

I'm working on integrating support for the Matrox Mystique into XFree86 as
we speak, so just hang in there. The trick to driver support under free
unixes is to write it yourself.

Andrew