Re: emumodule and 2.1.X kernel...

Hans Lermen (lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de)
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 12:39:20 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, nerull wrote:

> It seems that ever since I upgraded to the2.1.x series kernel, emu
> module will not load. It usually refuses to load with an error like
> wrong file format of /usr/src/linux/System.map Is this a problem with
> the emumodule, or just the developmental kernel? Thanks.

Starting with dosemu-0.64.1 emumodule's functionality (vm86plus) has been
put into kernel patches. For kernels 2.0.x you have the choice between
using the kernel patch and loading emumodule. However, for kernels 2.1.x
you have no choice: You _must_ use the kernel patch for a full feature
dosemu.

For more details get

ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ALPHA/dosemu/dosemu-0.64.1.tgz

and read ./src/doc/README.kernel-patches.

For those of you only interested in the kernel patch, please have a look at

ftp://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/pub/linux/dosemu/v0.64/vm86patch.tar.gz

We re-worked emumodule (vm86plus) a lot and abandoned all stuff that may
lead to security holes for the kernel. As part of an agreement with Linus
we expect to have the new vm86pus support in the official 2.1.x kernels,
though there may be some details changed on Linus' demand. ;-)

Hans
<lermen@fgan.de>