Re: Ethernet frame spanned...

Franz Sirl (Franz.Sirl@munich.netsurf.de)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:49:29 +0100

At 11:01 Uhr +0100 19.11.1996, Johnny Stenback wrote:
>Hi
>
>Got a lot (~200 before I rebooted) of these in my log with 2.0.25 on
>Sunday...
>
>kernel: eth0: Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers,status 0085c1be!
>
>The status number changes
>
> 0071c1ba
> 7fffceff
> 00c6c1ba
> 01c1c1ba
>
>These came in bursts of ~10-50 with ~30 seconds between the bursts,
>everything worked as far as I could tell though...
>
>The eth0 card is the only network card in the machine and it is a "old
>smc8432 (DEC 21040 Tulip)" according to the kernel (with the tulip
>driver) and it's connected to the net through the BNC-port (it's a
>combo card).
>
>I don't know if this is a hardware failure, something strange
>happening on the LAN or a driver bug, I just thought that I'd let you
>know...

Hmm, I had these a while ago, but the messages are gone since the Linux
machine is connected directly via BNC to a switch. So this is most probably
either a cabling problem or a software problem of the other clients on the
net.
It would be interesting to find a common point in the setup of the clients.
On our net there are:
- DOS/Win31 hosts with the Novell DOS client software and MS TCP/IP 3.11b
- Win95 hosts (probably not the cause, the problems existed before
introduction of Win95 in our company)
- SunOS 4.1.3, Solaris 2.4 and 2.5.1 hosts
- Novell 4.1 Server
- Trace32 in-circuit emulators (you probably don't have one of these ;-) )

With the introduction of the switch also Novell was updated from 3.11 to
4.1, could be a cause also.
But my personal feeling is that MS TCP/IP32 3.11b in combination with some
Windows network settings (file/printer sharing?) is the cause for this
messages.

Bye,
Franz.

phone	++49 8104 8943-0	   mail	Lauterbach Datentechnik GmbH
fax	++49 8104 8943-49		c/o Franz Sirl
email	franz.sirl@lauterbach.com	Fichtenstr. 27
web	http://www.lauterbach.com	D-85649 Hofolding
	ftp://ftp.lauterbach.com	Germany