Re: unusual startup messages

Nathan Bryant (nathan@burgessinc.com)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:27:03 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Oskar Pearson wrote:

> And once Linus moves to the States?
>
> I wonder, is it illegal to code and compile encryption software in Finland
> while you are sitting in the US ;)
>
> Will they shoot him if he then downloads it?
>
> And more importantly:
> Will they refuse him a green card on the basis that he *might* do it?
>
> Oskar

You've raised an interesting point: once Linus moses to the US, we won't
be able to integrate cryptography into the "standard" kernel if Linux is
maintained from the U.S. instead of Finland.

Will the kernel be maintained outside the US? Or will crypto code be
distributed as patches to the kernel? If the kernel is maintained from the
US, how do we deal with the brain-damaged export restrictions?

| Nathan Bryant | Resident Unix Geek |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | Burgess Business Solutions, Inc. |