Re: Problem with 2.0.24 SCSI change

Mike Kilburn (mike@conexio.co.za)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:11:13 +0200 (SAT)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> different ways it can be done, and none of them are the RightWay(tm). You can
> do it by adapter type, by card position on the bus (where known) or by
> position in IO space, and none of the ways are very good. They all fail
> sometimes (moving the card around or just switching cards), but the kind
> of failure you see in 2.0.24 is just plain stupid (when it changes just
> because the kernel looks in a different order).

We have a similar type problem with multiple ethernet cards. It seems
to me what makes the most sense is to be able relate the slot to
the kernel device in a predictable way. Is this possible with PCI?
When I enable auto detect for 4 ethernet cards I want to look at
the back of the machine and know which is eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3.