Re: syslog spiral death

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:29:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 ron@caldera.com wrote:

> I've seen a similar problem also. Running strace showed that syslogd
> was doing fsync() quite often. As the log files grow, fsync() takes
> longer and longer to complete. I don't know whether to consider this
> an inefficiency in the fsync() implementation or poor behavior on the
> part of syslogd for calling fsync() so often... We avoid this problem
> by keeping our log files trimmed (via chklogs).

Part of the point of log files is to know what happened just before a
system crash. If syslogd didn't fsync(), the logs would take some time
before being written to disk, so most of the useful information would be
lost.

If you have huge log files, the correct solution is to cycle them using a
cron job.

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

#include <disclaimer.h>